Thursday, January 24, 2008

24 Jan - The Pituitary Plan

Yesterday I went with Sarah to see a neurosurgeon and an endocrinologist down at the University of Chicago Cancer Center and both agreed that Sarah's pituitary adenoma was not an immediate threat and that we have the time to try a drug treatment. She started on Dostinex today (twice a week pill with few side effects) and she'll go on with that for six weeks (in parallel with her chemo) and then do another brain MRI to see how the pituitary growth has changed. At that point we should know if Sarah will ultimately need to have the growth surgically removed.
Sam and Ben are doing fine. Ben's still playing cello and I actually will be swapping his instrument out for one in the next size up since he's grown a bit since last October. He's playing Twinkle Twinkle pretty well. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good thing the pituitary is OK for now...sending positive vibes your way

Anonymous said...

That is very good news. I am thinking of y'all all the time. Alan, I know you are enjoying the lasik - such a miracle procedure that is to my formerly blind eyes. Sarah, we went to see Bobcat Goldthwaite do stand-up tonight and he was very funny. Y'all should go to a comedy club sometime if you have one in your area. I miss talking to you and hope we catch up soon. Love, Eone

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the pituitary tumor may not need surgery. Love the cello! Alexandra and Georgia just started violin, but I'm hoping it'll encourage them to play something a bit more unique like cello when they are a little older. I LOVE the cello! One of my favorite instruments. Heck, maybe I should try it!

Anonymous said...

Happy for the good news of no surgery, and hope that the drug truly does have few side effects. I wish I had played the chello or something less grating than the clarinet! Go Ben! that must be adorable. Sharon

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I put Chello for cello. I was tired, yeah, that's it. sharon