Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Ben's new smile


Ben finally lost his first front tooth! It had been loose for weeks and was barely hanging on when we convinced him to wiggle it out tonight. He was so proud of himself ... he showed everyone at our church's pancake supper tonight. You can see the new gap in the picture above.

We've got a huge winter storm bearing down on us tonight. It will most likely be a snow day tomorrow, which means I won't make it to my appointments at U of Chicago. I talked to my oncologist yesterday, who surprised me with his enthusiasm about the latest blood test results. He thought it was great news that my prolactin levels are normal again and that it indicates that the chemo is controlling the tumor ... no need to do anything at this point. He feels strongly that I should not do radiation and that we can keep an eye on things with MRIs and repeat prolactin levels. He also told me that the chemo I'm doing does cross the blood/brain barrier (I could swear I've been told and read that it does not ???). Anyway, it looks like I will have to wait another week to talk to the neurosurgeon and get his opinion. But I just remembered that I have a check-up with my radiation oncologist scheduled for next Tuesday (an appointment I made 6 months ago!), so I am looking forward to bringing him up to speed and getting his opinion before I go back to U of C.

As you can see, things are pretty confusing around here right now, but I think it is slowly becoming apparent that the tumor on my pituitary is most likely a breast cancer met. Brain mets have been my biggest fear all along, and now it seems I've been living with one for almost a year (probably longer). Thankfully this one hasn't spread and isn't causing any of the scary symptoms that many brain mets do. So I think I'll hold off on freaking out and count my blessings for now :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Ben! Has he lost the bottom teeth yet, or was this his first as you said? I look forward to hearing all the updates from next week's appts. Enjoy the snow. (Do you all enjoy the snow after this many weeks?)

Anonymous said...

Glad that your oncologist is so positive. that must feel good, despite the suspicion it is breast cancer. It's gotten "cold" here - only 45 going down to 35 . don't you feel sorry for us?

This weekend my mom and I go to visit my sister in chapel hill. Was supposed to stay with Amy sayle, but her dad died Saturday from pancreatic cancer. He lived for several years with it, relatively healthy and without pain. So i'm making a quick 1.5 day stop over in atlanta to go to his services and see my brother. I met him several times over the years, he was really a cool guy. - Sharon

Anonymous said...

You've been my inspiration this year! Stay positive and keep us posted. I think about you often and pray for your recovery.

Paige

Anonymous said...

Sarah:

You are always on my mind and in my prayers, stay strong and keep smiling.

Denice