Monday, March 31, 2008

Scan results are in ... good news and bad news

We went in today to get the results of the two scans I had on Friday. The results were mixed. First, the good news ... the pituitary tumor has markedly decreased in size in the 3 1/2 weeks since the last scan. It has shrunk from 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.2 cm down to .7 x .9 x .4 cm! This means that I won't be having surgery on my pituitary, at least not right now. I had resigned myself to the idea that surgery was my best option for treating the tumor, but it appears that surgery is no longer necessary at this time. We will continue to monitor the tumor with MRI and if it should start to grow again, the surgery option will be revisited. I am relieved to be able to put it off for now, though!

Now, the bad news ... the liver tumor has grown significantly over the last three months, and a new 1.8 cm tumor has appeared as well. The large tumor has grown from 4.1 x 4.4 cm to 4.8 x 6.9 cm. Yikes, it is getting big! Too big, according to my oncologist, for radiofrequency ablation and for surgical resection. There was some good news in the report, however. They are now saying that one subcentimeter tumor appears to be a hemangioma (a benign tumor) and that the several small lesions now appear to be cysts. That means that of the two dozen lesions that were on my liver when the mets were diagnosed in Dec. 2006, only two are now considered metastatic tumors.

My oncologist said that while the tumor is large, it is only taking up 5-10% of my liver. The liver doesn't start to lose it's ability to function until 70% is overtaken by tumor, so I am still a long way off from that. My liver function tests all continue to be normal, and I am feeling fine. On Friday, I will have my first whole body PET scan, which uses radioactive glucose to pinpoint the cancer throughout the body. Cancer cells eat up glucose much more rapidly than normal cells, and the PET scanner measures the "uptake" of the radioactive glucose and highlights the hot spots, presumably the areas where there is cancer. My doctor thinks there is a chance the large tumor on my liver could be partly necrotic (dead tissue), and the PET scan can show how active the tumor is. We will meet with my oncologist on Monday to go over the results of the PET scan.

Alan and I were talking today about how, a year ago, news of a 7 cm tumor on my liver would have really freaked us out! But, while I am not happy to hear that the chemo is not working on this tumor, I am really not too worried about it at this point. There are still several options available to treat it, and like I said above, my liver is functioning normally and I'm feeling fine. It's funny how much my (our) perspective has changed over the last year. I used to be such a pessimist, but now I try to look for the positive side to things and count my blessings where I can find them. Life is much less stressful this way :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are remarkable...your attitude is unbelieveable and you have inspired so many people through this journey (albeit one you'd prefer not to be on!) You are continually in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

As others have said, you are an inspiration to so many right now. We continue to pray for your recovery. We are hoping for more good news in the future.
--Paige and Trey G.