Saturday, August 02, 2008

The docs have weighed in

I talked to both my oncologist and my interventional radiologist this week about the PET scan results. The interventional radiologist called it a "complete response" to the treatment. He said the reason the report says that I had a resection is because they didn't see anything in the area where there was uptake in the last PET scan, so they assumed I must have had it cut out (they obviously didn't read the form I filled out detailing all my previous surgeries and the SIR Spheres procedure!). He wants me to have a follow-up MRI in another two months, and it sounded like after that I'd only need to see him if I needed another SIR Spheres treatment!

My oncologist called the PET results a 'pleasant surprise', but he is not planning on changing my treatment at all. I have finally recovered from the horrible Xeloda side effects, so I got to start my next round of Xeloda today. We have reduced the dose again (it's now half of the dose I started on originally) and we're hoping that I will be able to tolerate this lower dose. I was really disappointed to hear that I will continue on with chemo indefinitely, so much so that I didn't ask the right questions to understand *why* nothing will change despite a clean PET. I plan on asking the right questions on Monday so that I can understand the reasons. Perhaps then I will feel more like celebrating ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he is just trying to be on the safe side to be absolutely sure? Hopefully the lower dose will not be nearly as bad
Jennifer and Jeff

Jen said...

It is still totally worth celebrating! I know you are disappointed, especially since the X drug affected you so badly, but no visable cancer today is still a miraculous thing! We'll be thinking of you this week.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Sarah - I am so excited about this news, it seems like a miracle. wow. I'm sorry you still are on chemo, but hopefully they will find a way for you to take it and not feel too bad. Also, be grateful you are down here where it is 102 with no sign of changing... - Sharon

Anonymous said...

ALAN & SARAH ~ I hope you would have time to e-mail me at
growatree@hotmail.com
We (Sharyn) & I are going through similar situation.
Do you know why they chose SiriSphere instaed of Therasphere?
We are considering one or the other.
Also -we've been through the Xeloda situation & are trying something totally new right now -i would like to communicate with you 2 or one of you.
David Betts in Maine

Anonymous said...

It appears that prayer & SIR both work!

Good luck & lots of love to you & yours,

Bill & Meg