Wednesday, March 10, 2010

10 Mar - Alarm Bells

We received the results of Sarah's liver ultrasound and they were very alarming: multiple tumors with the largest at 6cm. That's huge - Sarah's onc told us a while ago that 6cm is around the size where tumors develop internal "pressure" and often stop responding to systemic treatment. So even if we can get Sarah back on treatment, that larger tumor will still likely be a problem.
This week and next will be dedicated to pushing Sarah's doctors for all options available to get the situation under control. Friday she'll get another ERCP where her gastro will see if he can clear a path in her bile duct system to drain the liver of toxins that are building up there. If he is successful then at least we have a chance to get her back on treatment.
Sigh... emotions are running high right now. I waver between a firm resolve to be hopeful and the realization that Sarah's life is in serious jeopardy. I'm returning from a trip and the people sitting next to me on the plane probably think I'm crazy (not that I care right now) because I periodically have tears in my eyes as I think about this. Hard to think about anything else...

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying so hard right now. So hard. Love from Eone.

Jessica said...

We love you all so much, Sarah, Alan, Ben, and Sam. Hoping for all the best for you. You've been on my mind so often for weeks now, Sarah and Alan, and especially the last few days.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you now more than ever Sarah and family. Love, Joyce (nov 2000 friend)

Anonymous said...

praying, praying, praying. For Sarah, for you, for Sam and Ben. love from the Schildges

Jane Kahl said...

Sarah I am so sad to hear that your fight has gotten harder.... I am praying for you and your beautiful family as you find a way to kick this cancer back and show it who is the boss!
Hugs,
Jane (nov 2000)

Jen said...

Keeping you all in our thoughts and asking my friends to do the same. It's been a long road and you clearly still have quite the fight ahead. Courage and strength! Jen, Nov 2000 friend

Shannon said...

I am praying for you and Sarah. I can't imagine how difficult this is for you both.

Noreen said...

I can't believe this disease can be so cruel! Please put me to work...I want to help in any way that I can. I can do laundry, make a meal, take the kids, sit with Sarah and watch a stupid movie...anything, you name it! You guys are always on our minds and in our hearts! We will step up the prayers and be specific to God in our requests! Noreen, Jeff and Ben

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you Sarah- wishing you strength, courage, many hugs from the people who love you, and just as many hugs and well wishes from me and my family here in Long Island. Continue to fight the fight, and rely on those who are more than willing to help hold you up.
-Julie (nov2000 buddy)

Unknown said...

We're all praying for you guys. Love, the Reblandos

Anonymous said...

We are praying for relief and recovery.

Love,
Paige and Trey

Anonymous said...

We, too, are praying for you and sending you thoughts of hope and strength. Know that you are not alone.

Love,
The Salter

Unknown said...

Lots of prayers coming your way from New Orleans.

olmsrbl said...

Eone is a friend of mine from Mississippi! Just know that Mississippi has put there Prayer Warriors on this and help will be on the way!! Praying for you both!!

Barry Perkins

Eone Moore Beck said...

Alan, please give us an update when you can. I am having a terrible time finding a flight.

Eone Beck

kemccabe said...

Thinking of you all everyday. We am here whenever and for whatever. All my love, Karen and Sean

Anonymous said...

I am so very heartbroken to hear this. I am sitting in the library of a cruise ship (we are on trip with David's family) back on Sunday. Like you, Alan, crying. You are such a wonderful family, if anyone can beat this you can. All my love to you, please let us know if we can help in anyway, if visitors are wanted. Sharon