Monday, May 30, 2011

30 May - Rest In Peace, Oma


I just heard that my grandmother passed away this Friday. We were very close and she was a big part of my childhood - and actually we stayed close for my adult life as well, talking often over the phone even though she lived in Germany. Her death did not come as a surprise since she was 100 years old and her health was rapidly declining. I was hoping to see her on our trip to Germany in just a few weeks... but life has taught me that there are no guarantees, and you can either accept that or go crazy denying it. Sigh. Unfortunately, that is a litany that I've already had to keep reminding myself of as I've had to face losing Sarah.
As I say a silent prayer to Alice, my very dear and beloved grandmother, I recall so many shared and treasured laughs and smiles. Moments all the more dear now that she's no longer with us. I'm thankful that she doesn't have to suffer any more, but I miss her very much all the same.
Oma, I will love you always. Rest in peace until we meet again.

3 comments:

Elizabeth B. said...

I am sorry for your loss Alan but glad for your time with her and your memories of her. You have such an appreciation of life and the people in it. I admire that. That is a sweet picture of Oma and Ben. He must have been about 5 I'm guessing.

Larry Gelbaugh said...

I am sorry that she passed. I lost my 97 year old grandfather recently, and Tracy lost her 92 year old grandmother. Each had a remarkable life, and had remarkable love for us - and each outlived their spouse by a long time (24 years and 41 years, respectively.) Nobody knows how their days are numbered, so we just have to enjoy every day with the people we love. You live and have lived that every day I have known you.

Larry

Larry Gelbaugh said...

I am sorry that she passed. I lost my 97 year old grandfather recently, and Tracy lost her 92 year old grandmother. Each had a remarkable life, and had remarkable love for us - and each outlived their spouse by a long time (24 years and 41 years, respectively.) Nobody knows how their days are numbered, so we just have to enjoy every day with the people we love. You live and have lived that every day I have known you.

Larry