Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Gearing Up For The 3-Day Walk

I'm training for this year's Komen 3-Day Walk on 2 November in Dallas.  Nicole and I are doing it together again this year and I thought it would be good to post an update along with the fund-raising link on the blog after posting to Facebook as well since not everyone uses Facebook.
Ben, Sam and I are doing well and have been keeping very busy this summer with lots of travel, camps and activities.  Sailing, karate, guitar and family trips have lead right in to the beginning of the school year and now suddenly it is time for the 3-day again!  I've started my training on the treadmill and will have to prepare for a colder walk in Dallas this year, but nothing that a good pair of sweat-pants can't handle. :)
Please donate to our walk this year if you can.  The link is: http://www.the3day.org/goto/sixtyforsarah.  Thank you!
On a personal note, I was struck as I read back through our blog by one posting on "hope" just before we lost Sarah in December 2010 - it talked about how, after so many years of hoping for a cure or something that could save Sarah's life, we had run out of time and could only hope for comfort and togetherness in her final days.  Everyone facing this terrible disease needs to believe that it is possible for a new treatment to change the picture, to "save" them from the certainty of an early end to life's journey.  It helps us carry on. It helps us find the courage to fight harder for more time. The tears still come quickly when I remember how time ran out for Sarah that snowy December, as it does for many people... Now I want to do what I can to give others the same hope we felt was so important - a hope fueled by people continuing to raising money for breast cancer research, so that someday there will be breakthrough treatments, and even a cure.  I want someone to be able to feel the relief that Sarah and I hoped for so much - the amazing news that there really is a path back to life from the diagnosis of stage IV metastatic breast cancer.  I think pushing to make that a reality is worth our support and our time!

No comments: