Friday, July 21, 2006

21 July - Time for Surgery

We've had a change in plans and Sarah's oncologist has recommended she get a mastectomy asap - it's scheduled for next Monday, 24 July. This was prompted by suspicion that the primary tumor was not responding to the chemotherapy (Adriamycin and Cytoxan) and in fact getting bigger. Sarah had another breast ultrasound this past Wednesday and although not completely conclusive, it did show a larger mass that is likely active tumor.

So, the plan is to stop the current chemo, remove the primary tumor, and then get her on Herceptin (which her tumor should respond to due to the HER2/NEU+++ attribute) possibly along with Taxol (a chemo drug) a few weeks after the surgery. My parents will be here for 2 weeks to help with Sam & Ben while Sarah recovers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah and Alan,
I just read the news that the surgery is today and I wanted you to know that I have been thinking about you both and sending all my positive thoughts and energy your way. I hope everything goes well today and all my wishes for a speedy recovery.
Love, Kathy Heidel

Anonymous said...

Our family continues to keep you in our prayers. I pray for a successful surgery and recovery.

Scott

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

I just wanted to let you know that you are very much in my thoughts and prayers as you recover from your surgery. You are an amazing person and I am certain I do not have half the strength and courage that you have demonstrated.... I admire you greatly.

I will pray that you recover quickly and that you are healed and that you and your family feel the loving touch of God.

Many hugs,
Jane (Nov 00 Board)