Saturday, December 30, 2006

30 Dec Update

Sarah got her second Navelbine chemo treatment today. Her red blood cell count was pretty low so she got a shot to boost that as well. We'll be consulting the oncologist at Rush University hospital in downtown Chicago next Tuesday to make sure we're considering all options for Sarah. Also, with the great help of Sarah's friend Ami, we started sending out feelers for clinical trials that might make new treatments available to her. In one encouraging discussion, a trials oncologist from University of Chicago Cancer Center reviewing Sarah's history actually said that Navelbine and Herceptin often produce excellent results and he recommended we see if this works before considering less established methods found in clinical trials. For now, we're seeing which trials she would qualify for so that we know what our options are.
Sarah is feeling surprisingly well right now with some mild fatigue. Mostly we're just struggling with the emotional stress of considering the worst while hoping for the best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

((( glad to help!! ))) 2007 will be your year, I know. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so very saddened to hear the news! I am also feeling terrible that we have been out of touch for so long. It is amazing how quickly life changes. I will have your family in my prayers. I will be in touch and hope that we can get together. I would like to help in anyway that I can. Love to all of you! Deb, Mike & Ashley VanHouten