Saturday, May 31, 2008

Quick Update

I had my 2 weeks post-treatment blood draw on Wednesday, and my liver function tests came back normal! So I am cleared to start chemo again on Monday. This new chemo will be an oral chemo called Xeloda. I'll have to take 6 pills a day (3 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon), and I will be on a two weeks on, one week off schedule. Side effects are hand/foot syndrome and stomach issues, but we will reduce the dose if I have any problems. I will still go in every three weeks for my Herceptin infusion and every four weeks for the Zometa infusion (bone strengthener) and Zolodex implant (ovarian suppression). I've heard of many people who have had success with Xeloda, and my doctor is very optimistic that the SIR Spheres will effectively reduce the size of the liver mets. So we are hopeful that the August PET scan will bring us good news. At the end of June, I will get another brain MRI, which I hope will show a stable pituitary tumor. I haven't had any headaches or vision problems, and with all the hoopla surrounding the SIR Spheres treatment and insurance issues, I had almost forgotten about it!

Alan leaves in the morning for a week-long trip to Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I'm sure he'll have some pictures to post when he gets back. For now, I'll post a couple of pictures of the four of us at the Memorial Day parade on Monday (you can see my hair has finally filled in, though it is grayer than before!):


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah- so happy to read good news from you! I hope your body keeps up the good work!