Sunday, January 02, 2011

1 Jan - Beautiful, Sad Funeral

Sarah's memorial service went about at nicely as I could have hoped. So many people helped pull it together from our church, and many people were able to attend despite the holiday schedule. We had around 220 people there - from church, the neighborhood, from school and also Rice and Navy friends from out-of-town. Thomas set up a great slide show of "Sarah pictures" at the reception and even brought up some King Cakes to pay tribute to Sarah's New Orleans roots. Overall, everything felt "right" even though it was sad and sometimes overwhelming.
Today my parents left and I had to face my first night alone in the house after the kids went to bed. It was tough but I kept busy by putting away our xmas ornaments and taking the tree down. That was hard in itself because Sarah helped decorate the tree when we set it up just 3 weeks ago - had to take a few breaks. Ben and Sam are doing ok. Ben told me tonight that it felt weird to him now that it is just the three of us. I've got the kids excited about some trips that we plan to take this year. But, first on the list is a trip to New Orleans in two weeks to lay Sarah's ashes to rest.

7 comments:

Becka said...

I feel overwhelmed just reading this. <3

Michaela said...

I'm glad that Sarah had a nice service.

I think of you and the boys and Sarah often. Hugs to you and the boys.

Anonymous said...

The service was Beautiful, what an amazing tribute to Sarah and your love for her. We are thinking about you all the time.

If there is ever anything we can do, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cate Casey

Jen said...

Sending virtual hugs and keeping your family in our daily thoughts.

peace.love.life said...

God bless you! I just kind of stumbled on to your blog, and I am so sorry for your loss. So glad it seems like you have a lot of family and friends that are there to support and love you. Know that you are cared for, and your kids are cared for. God be with you!

Jessica said...

Still thinking of you all everyday. It was a beautiful funeral service. Wish you well on your trip to New Orleans. You've all been through so much.

Jessica said...

Still thinking of you all everyday. It was a beautiful funeral service. Wish you well on your trip to New Orleans. You've all been through so much.