Tuesday, December 14, 2010

14 Dec - Going For The Drain Procedure

We talked to all of our doctors and are on track to have Sarah get the liver drain procedure done tomorrow. It'll be an all-day affair as she needs to get a long infusion of plasma in the morning to thicken up her blood and they want to keep her for a 23hr observation after the procedure (we've stated her desire not to get "stuck" in the hospital)
Sarah had a pretty good day and was able to eat a little here and there. She snuck in a few naps and went to bed after dinner. Her brother Thomas arrived tonight to visit for a few days and he'll be with us at the hospital tomorrow. We're relieved that we can attempt this drain procedure since Sarah is looking more yellow every day. We know a drain won't take away the tumors but it could give us some breathing room and lower the more immediate risks that come with a blocked liver.

6 comments:

Larry Gelbaugh said...

That sounds like as good as the news could be following Monday's post. You have friends all over the place praying for the whole family.

Eone Moore Beck said...

Thank heavens! I'm so grateful that you have this option and I know it won't be easy for Sarah but I'm sure she will feel better afterwards! I'm also glad they want to keep her afterwards. I know you must be so stressed right now. Deep breaths, Alan. Clear head. Praying all day and for the recovery days ahead. xoxo love love love

kswidler said...

Good luck with today's procedure. I hope that everything works out better than expected.

Karen Witkin Swidler

kswidler said...

Good luck with today's procedure. I hope that everything works out better than expected.

Karen Witkin Swidler

Ami said...

Good luck Sarah, I will be sending all of the love and energy that I possibly can to you.

Jessica said...

So glad you could do this so quickly. I hope it allows you to get some chemo. I am thinking of you all so very often. Your experiences allow me to keep perspective on the very benign craziness that is sometimes my life. I thank you for that.