Friday, December 17, 2010

18 Dec - Quick Update



Sarah started the day off pretty good on Friday but I think we wore her out more than we thought with the flow of visitors - by the end of the day she felt so weak that she was barely able to walk without help. She wasn't able to eat much but her reflux didn't seem as bad. Thomas went back home today and plans to return right after Christmas. Elizabeth arrived and will be with us until my parents come next week.
The boys and I are holding up ok. I'm just focused on helping Sarah and making her comfortable while finding time to just sit with her. She and I are touched by the origami cranes that many in the community are making for us! Here's a picture of them at our front door.

2 comments:

Alice said...

From another Nov. 2000 mom: I lack the words significant enough to match this trial your family is facing, and I'm finding it difficult not to rail at God even as you, Alan, write with no such bitterness. But, thanks be to God that "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express," Romans 8:26. I will continue to pray this verse for you all, and that the grace that has sustained you so beautifully will continue to be present in you.

Alice

Janet said...

Dear Alan,

There are no words to express the sadness that you are dealing with now. Lynn and I are taken back to nearly a decade ago, long before we knew each other. We both sat and held the hand of our dear partners as you are doing. We had to accept that healing does not always mean getting well.

I felt that I was at that moment giving my husband the final gift of support as he transitioned to his new life. A life without pain, tubes, needles and doctors.

Like you, we could not bear to let them go. and they will always be with us in our hearts.

May you feel the comfort of your faith, your family and your friends.

Peace be with you.

Love Janet

Thank you for sharing your story.